The groundhog saw his shadow which means that winter is here to stay for another six weeks. We’ve had some snow and freezing temperatures in the Fredericksburg area which has made for very slippery and bitterly cold days. While all you can do is bundle up when you go outside, what can you do to keep warm and save energy while you are inside?
We hope you are already using some of these tips but if you are not, take advantage of them in the weeks to come.
- Have your thermostat set at 68 degrees. Bring it down a few degrees before going to bed and if you are going to be out for more than a couple of hours.
- Install a programmable thermostat. You might not be able to do this-this winter but it’s something to keep in mind for summer and next winter. A programmable thermostat will automatically lower the temperature before you go to bed and when you go to work.
- Winterize your home. If you have drafts, you could be wasting a lot of energy and making your system work extra hard. So seal and caulk drafts around windows and doors. If you want to avoid this in the future- replace your windows with energy-efficient ones.
- Take advantage of the sunny days. Open your blinds when it’s sunny!
- Use thick curtains in the winter. You can change them again once spring arrives.
- Keep the air register clear. Do not place furniture over the registers.
- Do you have a chimney? Get an inflatable chimney balloon to block the heat from escaping. You can buy these in places like Amazon.
We hope that you can use some of these tips this winter and can help you save money. If you are in need of heating repair or heat pump repair this winter, give Complete Heating and Cooling a call today.
Do you want to read more of our articles? Check out our latest three: 5 Tips to Improve Indoor Air Quality, Did Your Heating System Break Down? We Provide Heating Repair in Fredericksburg, Virginia, and Choose Complete Heating and Cooling for your HVAC Needs in 2018.