It’s that time of the year again. Pollen time. Fredericksburg’s pollen has got everyone sneezing and coughing. Although flowers have bloomed, and they are bright and alive, the pollen has us feeling drained. And if you suffer from allergies and love spending time outdoors, this time of the year is even tougher.
If you suffer from allergies, then this is a time of year that you tend to spend more time inside. And unfortunately, we can’t get rid of the pollen, but we can try to reduce it in our homes. So, what can you do to make your home comfortable and pollen-free?
Take a look at these tips:
- This is a no-brainer but avoid opening your windows. We understand that spring usually has perfect weather (aside from the pollen) but resist the urge to open your windows. You want to keep the pollen out.
- Keep your home cool and dry. Allergens drop significantly if your home’s humidity levels are below 50%. You can maintain this humidity level using your air conditioner and a dehumidifier.
- Since you want to keep your home dry, be sure to clean up any wet spots at home. For example, if you drop water or bring in water from the outside, clean it up immediately.
- Replace your HVAC filters. These filters are pretty good at reducing or eliminating various bacteria, viruses, mold, dust, pet odors, and allergens. Ensure their effectiveness by changing them once a month.
- Clean. I know this is another no-brainer, but many homeowners underestimate the power of dusting and vacuuming. Clean any surface with a damp mop or rag, and wash them afterward. Avoid using feather dusters; the allergens will just circulate the house.
- Use the “fan-only” setting on your HVAC system. When the fan is on, the air is cleaning, as it must first pass through a filter that removes any contaminants.
- Wash your bedding more frequently during springtime; we recommend weekly.
Just because it is allergy season, it doesn’t mean that you have to be uncomfortable in your own home. We hope these tips can help you reduce allergens and make you feel better. Do not forget to give Complete Heating and Cooling a call for a Spring HVAC tune-up can so we can further prevent allergens and help you increase your system’s efficiency.