So far, we’ve had a pretty warm Fall season in the Fredericksburg area. But, with Winter on our horizon, temperatures are sure to change. Not only do you need to prepare your wardrobe, but you also should get your house in order. But, what tasks are necessary for winterizing your home? Take a look at our list below, to get some ideas on how to be Winter ready!
- Clean Gutters: If you haven’t already done so, you need to take care of the gutters on your home. Leaves and other debris will build up in your gutters over time (especially in the Fall). If you leave your gutters full of these items, not only will they not work properly, but your gutters can become damaged with the formation of ice dams. If this happens, water has the potential to seep into your home and lead to much larger problems and expenses.
- Clean Your Air Ducts: You should have your ducts professionally cleaned regularly, as to keep your homes heating and air moving through the system efficiently. Also, as always, make sure to change the air filters in your home as the season changes.
- Check for Air Leaks: Air leaks in your home are one of the biggest causes of high energy bills. If warm air from your home can escape any cracks, your heating system will have to work much harder and it will increase your monthly bill. If you find any cracks or openings around your home, you can use caulk to seal them up. You can also purchase weatherstripping materials from your local hardware store.
- Reverse Your Fans: If you have ceiling fans in your home, you can use the reverse switch to make the fan’s blades rotate in a clockwise direction. When your heat is on in your home, the fan will then produce an updraft and push down heated air into the room.
- Heating Inspection: Finally, it’s important to make sure your heating system is in good working condition. A Complete Heating and Cooling technician can come to your home and inspect your system to make sure that everything is working properly. Now is the perfect time to schedule an appointment! Also, be sure to check back for our upcoming Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals!