The freezing weather is long gone and our Fredericksburg area is now experiencing a mixture of summer and spring. While we enjoy the nice breezy days, we must start thinking of the hot summer days that are to come. If you do not have an air conditioner or if you are thinking of replacing an old one, the biggest question is “How do I know which air conditioner to get?”
The type of air conditioner you get is decided by the load of the home. “What is the load of the home?” you ask? Well, the load of the home is many things. You can’t just look at your house and decide which cooling system you need, if you do, then be prepared to be sweating this summer!
A load of your home is a calculation that is based on:
- The square footage of your house.
- The volume of the living space in your house.
- The area of exterior walls that are sun-exposed.
- The “R” value of the insulation.
- The age of your home.
- The number, size, and placement of windows.
- The type of windows and doors your home has (are they energy-efficient?)
- A number of floors and how they are arranged.
- The climate of the area you live in.
The size of your cooling system matters. If you do not have the proper system, your home will run into many issues. If your cooling system is too big it will quickly over-cool your home and turn off. When your system runs for a short time, it does not have the proper time to remove the humidity in the air. This causes the system to turn back on and off; repeating the same cycle which results in higher energy bills and a higher chance of mold growth.
We at Complete Heating and Cooling are certified and have the experience to figure out the type of air condition your home needs. Give us a call to install or replace your system!