It just won’t stop raining in the Fredericksburg area, and the April showers have turned into May showers. While we enjoy the beautiful flowers that Spring brings, we also have to deal with pollen and the humidity. In times of high humidity, your home may experience excess moisture which could result in mold growth. Excess moisture can be remedied by obtaining a humidifier, but how do you know that you need one? Well, take a look at these signs:
- As mentioned before, sign #1 is mold. Do you see black mold spots in the ceiling or walls? Then you have a problem. Mold tends to appear mostly in bathrooms because they can’t air out the steam from hot showers. But mold can grow in any other room, and once you have a group of them on the wall or ceiling, they spread easily. Don’t ignore the mold because it can result in serious health issues.
- Does it smell musty? A musty order is a sign that you need a dehumidifier because mold is likely growing. The smell is common in basement and garages, and it’s due to sealing issues and lack of proper ventilation. A dehumidifier can address the excess moisture in areas that lack proper ventilation.
- Condensation, fog or vapor in windows is a sign of too much moisture in the home. Try to figure out the root of the problem and let your dehumidifier do the work. The wetness can allow mold to grow but also rot wooden casings, so don’t wait too long.
- Are you sneezing or coughing a lot? Yes, that’s another sign. If there is too much moisture in your home, bacteria is present. A dehumidifier can get rid off dust mites as well as lower the air pollution in your home. The right dehumidifier can track the temperature and moisture in the room and keep it at the right environment. This way allergens won’t stand a chance against you.
- Lastly, inspect for water damage and stains. If you find water damage on the walls, call a professional because it could be due to a leaky pipe. But while you fix the problem, a dehumidifier can lessen the moisture and avoid additional water damage to your home.
These signs can show up during any season, but we want to be more proactive during the rainy season. If you find any of these problems at home, give Complete Heating and Cooling a call, we will install a central dehumidifier.