Summer and Winter are both of the times when homeowners are looking for ways to save money on their energy bills. While we are sure that many want to save money all year round, these are the times when your cooling or heating system are on full blast. With summer heating up Fredericksburg homes, we want to provide our readers with a few tips that can hopefully reduce your electricity bill.
When it comes to your cooling system, what temperature should you be setting your thermostat at?
- While we want you to be comfortable, the best temperature setting would be 70-75 once you are home. If you are gone for more than 4 hours, we recommend you to turn it off.
- We have mentioned this many times before, but a programmable thermostat is the way to go. This is the best option to be comfortable as soon as you get home and in lowering down your energy use.
- Get HVAC maintenance! If you know that everything is working as it should, you won’t have a faulty system draining away energy.
- Clean your air filters so the air can properly go through!
Aside from your cooling system, what else can you do to reduce your energy use?
- Use fans! While we prefer our cooling systems, you can use a fan without having to lower down the temperature on thermostat. You might find it that you can be comfortable with a higher temperature and a fan blowing in your direction.
- Be a vampire! Or just keep the blinds shut during really sunny days. This will keep your home cooler.
- Change your laundry habits! Wash clothes in cool water and dry them at night. Your drying machine warms up your house which makes your air conditioner run more during the day. And if you have a backyard, just dry your clothing outside