HVAC systems can develop issues at any point during their lifetime. If your unit is operating properly, it should be “quiet” and only make quiet humming noises or the sound of air whooshing. But, when your unit develops a problem, it will emit mysterious noises that are loud and cause disturbances within your home. Let’s take a look at what those noises may sound like:
- Rattling – Rattling noises coming from your unit could be a few different things. It could be something as simple as having debris in your system, like a stick. You will need to turn the system off, cut the power to your unit and then remove the debris. If upon removal of the debris, you see damage to any portion of your unit, you should call us right away. Rattling can also be an indication that something in the HVAC unit has come loose. You will need your unit inspected by an HVAC professional.
- Hissing – When you hear a hissing noise coming from your unit, there are three issues that could be causing this:
- Refrigerant Leak – A hissing sound could indicate that your refrigerant is leaking out of your unit. A leak will develop when the refrigerant in your system is put under pressure. If this is the case, your A/C needs to be repaired right away, as it cannot function without refrigerant.
- Internal Valve Leak – Valve leaks also need to be fixed right away, as the valve helps control the pressurization of the refrigerant gas.
- Compressor Issues – The compressor is a very important piece in your unit and hissing that originates from this part is a serious situation. If you hear hissing coming from the compressor, it means that the pressure inside of it is too high, the AC unit should be shut off immediately and you should call us as soon as possible.
- Squealing or screeching – If you hear squealing or screeching noises coming from your unit, it may mean that there is a bad belt or there are motor bearing problems. These should be easy repairs, but you should still call us to be sure!