We are halfway through January, and we already had our first snow in the Fredericksburg area. This is the time for cozy coats and warm drinks. Right now we’re all looking for ways to stay warm, and if you do not have a heating system, it is very hard to keep your home toasty. Many people resort to space heaters to keep their homes and their work office warm.
The problem with space heaters is that they can be very dangerous! According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission space heaters lead to more than 25,000 home fires a year! On average, the fires caused by these heaters can result in 300 deaths and 6,000 injuries a year. What can seem like a simple solution can end up costing you not only money but your life! Here are some tips to avoid any injuries or a major fire:
- Do NOT plug the heater into an extension cord instead you should plug it directly into an outlet. Using an extension cord increases the chances of fires, overheating and electrical shock injuries.
- This one might seem silly, but keep your heater away from water! Avoid electrical shock by refraining from touching the heater with wet or damp hands. Moreover, avoid placing a heater in damp places like a bathroom or a humid basement.
- Do NOT place the heater in areas of high traffic where people might trip. Also, make sure your heater is at least 3 feet from anything that might catch on fire such as furniture, curtains, drapes, bedding, etc.
- Do NOT try to hide a cord by placing it underneath a carpet or rug because the cord can become worn and trigger a fire.
- NEVER leave your space heater unattended. If you are leaving your home or office, make sure the heater is unplugged.
If you are ready to switch from space heaters to an efficient heating system or if you need your existing system repaired, you can call us! Complete Heating and Cooling can provide you with a free quote!