As Fredericksburg gets through the last weeks of winter, you will soon be putting your furnace to sleep. But we still have about a month to go of winter, and Virginia weather is unpredictable. One day is snowing, and the next is 70 degrees. So you want to make sure that your furnace is still in good shape and even ready to go for next fall.
So how can you tell when something is wrong? If you notice these five things, there is a good chance that you might need a new furnace.
- It has hit it’s 15 birthday: It’s just a rule of life that the older something gets, the less efficient it becomes. If your furnace has made it this far with not too many problems, then do not push it past its age and don’t keep repairing something that keeps breaking.
- Bills and repairs are high: If your energy bills have significantly increased then something is not working right. And same goes for the numbers of repairs you’ve had. If you keep repairing your furnace, it is because it is giving out.
- Rooms have different temperatures: An inefficient furnace will fail in distributing heat. So if you notice that some rooms are colder than others, it is because your furnace is no longer doing what it should.
- There are soot and rust around the registers: Seeing soot or rust is a problem, this indicates that your furnace has too much CO2. If you don’t see the soot or rust, you might notice it’s symptoms. Too much CO2 will dry eyes, itchy throats, and headaches.
- It’s making too much noise: Your furnace already makes some noises, and that’s okay but what we are talking about is excessive noises in the form of popping, screeching, humming or banging.
If you have noticed any of these things, then it might be time to say goodbye to your furnace. But change is not bad! You can get a new furnace that it is more efficient or you can get a whole new heating system. If you are in need of HVAC repair or are ready to get a new HVAC system give Complete Heating & Cooling a call at (540) 370-4178.